In this article, I will show you various methods that will help you repair a USB memory or SD Memory Card. Very often we face the problem that a storage device is damaged, this guide will surely answer all your questions about this problem.
When we damage our USB memory or SD memory, we spend hours investigating how to solve this problem. This post is composed of several methods to help you repair your beloved USB memory or damaged SD memory.
Methods to repair USB memory or SD Memory
Change the drive letter
Sometimes, your computer cannot assign drive letters (C, D, E) for storage devices. Because of this reason, the files they contain cannot be accessed. To resolve this issue, you can assign the drive letter to the device.
The steps to repair your USB memory or damaged SD memory by assigning the letter to the drive are simple:
- Connect the storage media to your computer.
- Right-click My Computer / PC / Computer. Then click Manage in the drop-down menu.
- You click Disk Management on the left side and wait a few seconds for Windows to load the virtual disk service.
- Right click on the storage medium and click Change the letter and paths.
- Click the drive letter (which turns blue) and click Change.
- Select the drive letter from the drop-down list. Click OK.
Try to use it on another computer.
Maybe the problem is specifically your computer. Try connecting SD memory or USB memory to another computer. With luck, it may work and you will be able to back up your data.
Reinstall the drivers.
It happens many times when drivers running on USB memory or SD memory are corrupted, and the computer is not able to detect the storage medium. The best option is to install them again using these simple steps:
- Right-click My Computer / PC / Computer. Then click Manage.
- Click Device Manager on the left side.
- Double-click Disk Drives in the list. Right-click on the name of the USB or SD memory
- Click Uninstall. click OK.
- Disconnect the storage media and reboot your computer.
- Connect the USB memory. Your PC will detect it.
Repair damaged USB memory or SD Memory with Windows Explorer
This is the most commonly used procedure for repairing a storage medium connected to your computer.
- Open My PC / PC / Computer
- Select the damaged drive and right click.
- Click Format from the drop-down menu.
- You click Restore Defaults in the popup window.
- Click Start to begin the formatting process. You can turn off the Quick Format option if you want a deep scan of the drive, but this will take time. So, disable this option only if you fail on the first attempt.
- Click OK in the next dialog box, it will warn you that the data will be lost. The formatting process will be completed in a few moments and you will have your USB or SD memory card repaired.
Repair damaged USB memory or SD Memory using CMD
This process involves the use of the Windows system symbol that is commonly known as CMD. To do this, you have to enter some CMD commands and Windows will force the formatting to the damaged USB / SD memory.
- Connect the USB memory or damaged SD memory to the computer.
- Move the mouse cursor over the Start button and right click.
- Click Command Prompt (Administrator). A CMD window will open.
- Type Diskpart and press Enter.
- Type list disk and press Enter. A list of all the storage devices connected to the computer will be displayed.
- Type select disk <your disk number> and press Enter. (Example: select disk 1). Important: Make sure you enter the number correctly. Otherwise, you can format the internal hard disk. You can write list disk again to verify that you have spelled it correctly.
- Type clean and press Enter.
- Type create partition primary and press Enter.
- Type active
- Type select partition 1.
- Format Type fs = fat32 and press Inter. The formatting process will be completed in a few minutes. You can write NTFS instead of FAT32 if you are going to transfer files over 4 gigabytes.
Recover lost files
You can use Sandisk Rescue Pro to recover your files in case you have accidentally deleted files from your USB memory or SD memory. The SD memory must be in good condition to carry out the recovery process.
Do you know another method to repair damaged USB memory? Share it in the comments.